You know what’s fun? Makeup. You know what’s not fun? Paying for makeup.
A hardcore cheapskate frugalite wouldn’t dare spend her hard earned cash on such a frivolous purchase like cosmetics. But let’s be real. Makeup is fun, pretty, transformative, and for a lot of us, it boosts our self esteem. And can you really put a price on high self esteem? (Yes, yes you can.)
My Top Five Favorite Drugstore Beauty Products
While Sephora and MAC are beautiful places full of beautiful things, sometimes we have to sacrifice our makeup budget in the name of financial responsibility. Thankfully we don’t necessarily have to sacrifice quality. I’m not sure if you noticed, but the drugstore brands have stepped up their game in the last few years. Let’s talk about my favorite drugstore beauty products that will rock your high end socks off.
- 1. Powder eye shadow: Wet ‘n’ Wild Say what? I know. At $2 for singles and $3-$5 for palettes, you wouldn’t expect much from these guys – but they are seriously awesome. Amazing pigmentation, good staying power, and there are some very close dupes to popular MAC shades. Comparable to MAC or Urban Decay shadows.
- 2. Cream eye shadow: Maybelline Color Tattoo. Holy pigmentation, these are good! Only $6-$8 bucks and they will last forever. Comparable to MAC Paint Pots or Benefit Creaseless Creams.
- 3. Blush: Milani Baked Blush. Forget that these only cost like 7 bucks, they will save you even more money in entertainment costs. You could spend hours looking at these gorgeous things. Ah, the prettier things in life. Comparable to Laura Geller Blush ‘n’ Brightens or MAC MSFs or Mineralized Blushes.
- 4. Lipstick/Lip gloss: Revlon. So many shades and finishes, so little time. Revlon has the best selection of lip products in the drugstore today (in my humble opinion, of course). My top recommendations are Super Lustrous lip glosses and ColorBurst lipsticks & lip butters. So much amazing for just $6-$7. Lipsticks comparable to MAC, lip glosses comparable to MAC Cremesheen or Dior Addict, lip butters comparable to Korres lip butters but in a stick form.
- 5. Brushes: Ecotools or Sonia Kashuk. Ecotools can be found in just about any drugstore and they are great basic brushes – they are soft, don’t shed, and clean easily. A set will cost you about 10 bucks, which is awesome because brushes can be some of the pricier items to get for your kit. Sonia Kashuk is sold exclusively at Target. She has great basics, but also specialty brushes for the type of girl who needs a brush for everything. I do think these shed a tad more than Ecotools, but barely. Brushes run anywhere from a few bucks to $20. Comparable to MAC and Sephora.
Other great (and affordable!) brands include:
- NYX: for powder eye shadows & blushes
- MUA & Sleek (both UK): for powder eye shadows (Incredible palettes!)
- Real Techniques: for GREAT BRUSHES – but only available from ULTA
- Physician’s Formula: for gel eye liner
The point is, you can look beautiful on a budget. But considering I have the best looking readers ever, you already do.
What are your favorite drugstore brands and products? How do you beautify on the cheap?