Well, it’s officially Valentine’s Day season. Every grocery store you go into during the first 2 weeks of February proudly displays its “altar of love”, adorned with candy, cards, fuzzy pink and red stuffed animals, and more candy. Florists take over the radio waves as every freaking commercial is about ordering roses for that special someone in your life. Some incredibly predictable rom-com is sure to come out on February 14th. Restaurants, jewelers, candy makers – everyone gets to take part in this holiday of mass consumerism…erm, I mean love. But how to love yourself more this V-day?
There’s nothing wrong with having a holiday to celebrate love and togetherness. The problem is expectations. Many women expect a night not unlike those portrayed in the most recent sickeningly sweet movue, while guys are panicking trying to make the day a success so they can get laid. Meanwhile, singles are desperately trying to make themselves look happy via Facebook statuses and tweets that say things like, “I’m so glad I get to spend V-day doing whatever I want whenever I want” or “V-Day? More like VD! LOLZ”, while quietly dying inside because they aren’t getting a box of chalky candy hearts. It’s completely exhausting relying on someone else to give you this perfect day of inflated love and romance.
Tips for How to Love Yourself More This Valentine’s Day (And all year round!)
Whether you are single, dating, married, engaged, or asexual, you deserve a day of self love. Stop expecting someone else to give you this unrealistic Valentine’s Day of your dreams. Instead, become your own Ryan Gosling and treat yourself to a day of pampering, relaxation, and love. Seeing as you are reading a PF blog right now, I’m assuming you are more concerned with the dollars and cents of all of this (or you could be hanging out for my sparkling wit and dazzling charm – if so keep reading…. the wit and charm continue). Here are some of ideas for how to show some love to yourself this holiday:
- 1. Cook yourself an amazing dinner. Your “better half” can’t cook anyways. Make yourself an incredible dinner at home, complete with a $10 bottle of wine. Finish the meal off with dessert, featuring the excessive amount of heart shaped candy you bought.
- 2. Go see a movie solo. Pro tip – hit the theaters early for a matinee. You are more likely to avoid the “you hang up, no you hang up” crowd and it will be cheaper. Which movie you ask? Depending on your overall views of love, you could go with the rom-com of the week or the most violent slasher film you can find. Sneak in some snacks and a flask beverage and you are guaranteed to have a good time.
- 3. Have a spa day (sans spa). Have a relaxing spa day at home. Mani, pedi, conditioning treatment, whatever. Pop in your favorite season of Sex and the City and you’re good to go. But remember, this day is for you. No personal grooming allowed. Let your hairy legs and unibrow hang out. You know you want to. (Bonus: less wear and tear on your razor and tweezers. How very frugal of you.)
- 4. Be kind to yourself. Pretend that naked flying baby shot you in the ass with one of his arrows of love. Spend the day being as narcissistic and self-involved as possible. Other people come and go, but you are stuck with yourself. Fall in love with yourself this Valentine’s Day. Write yourself love letters, compliment yourself, realize how great you are! Yes, it sounds insane to talk to yourself but you need to get really comfortable with you in order to have healthy relationships with others. After all, if you don’t think you’re the shit who will?
- 5. Buy rechargeable batteries. The gift that keeps on giving …
This Valentine’s Day, treat yo’ self. You are freaking awesome and I can’t think of anyone better to spend the most lovey-dovey holiday of the year with. No matter what your relationship status is; you need to have time to just enjoy and love yourself.
How do you romance yourself on a budget?